THE CURATORS ACADEMY
OPEN CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS
TheatreWorks (Singapore), in partnership with the Goethe-Institut Singapore, is calling for participants to be part of the first edition of The CURATORS ACADEMY conceived & led by ONG Keng Sen, the Artistic Director of TheatreWorks (Singapore) and Founding Festival Director of Singapore International Festival of Arts (SIFA), 2014 to 2017.
The CURATORS ACADEMY invites interested individuals from South East Asia to apply for a place in the Academy. The duration of the Academy is from 24 to 28 January 2018 in Singapore. English will be the language of communication.
The CURATORS ACADEMY is concerned with the curation of performance but intends to move beyond the skills of curation, unlike conventional training programmes in universities.
Its emphasis is on developing a context when there is little or none, for ‘growing’ performance, which engages and interrogates the politics of the local, the site. The first recognition of the Academy is that very often, curators need to cultivate a scene of processes between their public intellectuals, artists, audiences and civil society, to construct a scene and its own specifics.
This initiative is for aspiring curators in South East Asia. These will primarily be independent artists and producers with strong networks but the Academy will strive to provide a platform for exchange to develop various curatorial perspectives and considerations with them. The Academy is open to programmers affiliated with institutions; the focus remains on the development of independent curation.
It is the CURATORS ACADEMY’s belief that the curators nurture porous contexts, conversations, continuities through interrogating archives/legacies and bridging potentialities.
The participants will be engaging in dialogue with trainers who will include ONG Keng Sen, curators from Germany as well as curators from other parts of the world. The trainers will bring specific perspectives based on their research and practice.
The CURATORS ACADEMY invites individuals who have / who are:
- An independent aspiring curator from South East Asia, who comes from the background of making art or producing art;
- a ready network; and
- a desire to activate their networks to enable and transform their contexts and their communities. This includes enabling and transforming institutions they interact with, either from outside the institution(s) or sometimes in collaboration with the institution(s).
HOW TO APPLY?
Your application must include:
- A brief description of your curatorial experience if any,
- your current artistic and production practice,
- A brief description of your current network(s)
- Curriculum Vitae (up-to-date)
- Portfolio of the recent projects / works (max. 10MB total)
- how you intend to enable and transform your local contexts, communities or institutions, if given an opportunity.
Applications shall be submitted via email to the following email address: email@example.com
Application deadline: 27 November 2017, 23:55 hours (Singapore time)
Please also keep in mind that only digital material is accepted and all documents shall be sent in the same email. TheatreWorks (Singapore) can respond to email inquiries except regarding the status of individual applications.
Successful applicants shall be informed in due course.
The CURATORS ACADEMY shall provide the selected participant a return economy class air-ticket from his/her city of residence to Singapore, per diem and hotel accommodation for the duration of the Academy from 23 January (day of arrival) to 28 January 2018. The day of departure from Singapore is 29 January 2018.